Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Life is Precious

Camdyn and Cade are now 6 months old (2 months adjusted)!  It seems like they have been with us for much longer now probably because time drug out so long in the beginning.  They have only been at home with us for 1 1/2 months.  We are enjoying every day with them.  Brenna loves having her baby sister and baby brother at home. 


In the last 6 months, I have learned so many life lessons:


1.  Every minute, hour, day is a gift.  When they were first born, I clearly remember us watching the clock as the first few hours passed.  We were told the first 24 hours were the most critical.  When we got through the first 24 hours then 48 hours then 72 hours, we felt a tiny bit of relief.  Then we began to count days, weeks, and eventually months.

2.  Medical technology is amazing.  I found out that a great aunt of mine lost a baby at 32 weeks who weighed 4 lbs.  Now, that baby could have easily been saved with only a short NICU stay.  I feel so fortunate that the doctors along with technology and a lot of prayers were able to save our babies.

3.  People either turn to or away from God in difficult times.  My faith and belief is stronger now than ever before; however, I don't believe in any of the what I term "God eupemisms" (i.e.  'It's all part of God's plan' or 'God doesn't give you more than you can handle'.)  I don't think God sits around doling out difficult situations to an unlucky selected few. 

4.  The power of prayer is awe-inspiring.  We have been on so many church prayer lists, and people are praying for us all over.  Most of those people don't even know us.  Whether you are the praying type or not, you have to recognize the beauty of that.


5.  We could not have done this without the support of our family and friends.  All the meals, phone calls, care packages, and donations were so helpful.  It showed us that we were not in this alone and that so many people care about us and love us.

6.  I have learned that I love my mom, mother-in-law, and sister more than words can express.  They have washed bottles, changed diapers, watched my kids, and cleaned my house countless times so I could work, run errands, or just take a nap.  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

 7.  I can love 3 kids!  When I first found out that I was pregnant, I wondered how I was possibly going to love another baby as much as I love Brenna.  Then I found out it was twins!  Then I wondered how I would have enough love for the two of them when so much of my love was reserved for Brenna.  I soon learned that a mother's love is endless and is multiplied not divided.

8.  Two really is twice the fun!  (and the work)

9.  I've learned that all the worry, pain, and work is worth every second.

10.  Life is precious.  When you see your tiny 1 lb babies fighting for every breath and clinging on to life, you realize how precious life is. 

1 comment:

Donna Mossholder said...

So beautiful Michelle........