Monday, July 8, 2013

Potty Training Twins!

Potty training is going to be the death of me!  We have been training for a while now.  At first, I thought I would wait until both of them were ready and train them together.  For the longest time, Cade flat out refused to go.  We tried ALL the tricks, and nothing was working.  We went ahead and trained Camdyn without Cade.  She has the hang of it now for the most part.  She still has some trouble knowing when she needs to poop, so that's a lot of fun!  She is getting better though.  I decided that I was not going to wait any longer for Cade to be ready on his own like everyone tells you that you need to do.  I don't think he would be ready on his own for a long time, so I decided for him.  Once he peed in the potty a few times, he decided that was fun.  Now he wants to go all the time.  Today he pooped on the potty for the first time, so I think we are making some progress towards getting these twins potty-trained.

I never joined the multiples groups because I always thought twin "problems" are nothing compared to all the preemie "problems" we had.  I knew I couldn't handle the complaints or normal struggles that multiple moms would discuss in these groups.  Sure, I knew having twins was harder than having one child, but that paled in comparison to having micro-preemies.  Fortunately, we are at a point that many of our preemie challenges are behind us.  Now we have graduated to the normal struggles of raising twins, and potty training is a struggle!  However, having twins (especially boy/girl twins) does create some pretty funny conversations when potty training.

Camdyn (fussing and whining): Mommy, Cade fwushed da potty.
Me: Why is that a problem?
Camdyn (hands on hips, pouty face): It was MY tinkle!

* Flushing the potty is a reward for making something in it, and it's a big deal around here.


During dinner-
Cade: I have to go potty.
(Daddy takes Cade. Cade wants to go by himself.  Daddy returns to the table.)
Cade (running out of the bathroom): I make tinkle!
The whole family: YAY Cade!
Cade returns to the bathroom.
Cade (running out of the bathroom again): I make poop!
Me: Really ?!?!  Great job.  (I run to see.)
Daddy: Yep, sure did.  Way to go Cade!
Camdyn: My want to see Cade's poop.
Brenna: Oooooh!  Gross!

* Only Brenna was not amused by Cade's announcement of poop at the dinner table.  Geez!  Is this really my life right now?


So, while it is super frustrating to potty train these kids, it is pretty amusing too.

No comments: