Monday, February 27, 2012

18 month developmental tests

The twins went in for their 18 month NICU follow-up clinic developmental tests.  They are 22 months actual, but the tests are based on their adjusted age of 18 months.  Overall, I was impressed at how well they did at completing each task.  The appointment was over 2 hours long!  I like that it is very extensive.  I had to first fill out a 4 page survey of questions for both kids.  They test them in the areas of gross motor, fine motor, speech (expressive and receptive), cognitive, and social skills.  In addition, they do a quick neuro exam and check for any concerns in their overall development. 

Cade now weighs 24 pounds, and Camdyn weighs 19.5 pounds.  They are not concerned about Camdyn's tiny stature because she is following her own growth curve and growing at her own slow, constant rate.

This time Camdyn was more into testing than Cade.  Cade seemed more interested in finding a way to escape (i.e. opening the door and walking out).  I know that Cade is capable of performing several of the tasks he was asked to do, but he just didn't feel like it that day.  Both Camdyn and Cade are right where they should be in all areas for their adjusted age of 18 months.  Camdyn was a bit lower in speech skills but still on target; however, she scored "high average" in cognitive abilities.  I was really excited about this.  It's hard to know what her little brain is thinking since she doesn't speak much.  Cade scored "high average" last time but "average" this time since he was not cooperating.  Either way, I was very excited to hear the results.  It's hard not to compare them to 2 year olds since they are almost 2.  When I see them around other kids their age, I think they are so behind, so it was nice to see that they aren't too far behind.  I feel so blessed that they are doing so well.  We are very grateful and praise God every day!

Here are some cute pictures of them at their appointment.  I was fortunate to have my mom come to this appointment with me.  With such a long appointment, I knew I was going to need some help corraling the kids.

Camdyn stacking blocks. Cade was more interested in crashing the blocks than stacking them.

Camdyn doing a puzzle.  Cade thought the puzzle made a great pond for the duck.  If you ask me, I think he should have received some points for creativity!

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I'm so glad they are right on target. This really is great news. It truly is amazing when you think of how far they have come. Congrats to all of you!

Andrea Farrell said...

Yay! So glad to hear they did well on their big tests. I'm sure it was reassuring to hear they scored well. And they are super adorable, too!