Sunday, April 11, 2010

How It All Started

4/11/10

So, it all started last Thursday, April 1. What a cruel April Fool's joke? The only problem was it wasn't a joke, far from it.

I woke up on Thursday morning and went to the restroom. Without being too descriptive, I noticed that there was a little fluid present. I honestly thought I was losing some control over my bladder carrying twins and all. I didn't think much about it and continued on with my day. I dropped Brenna off at school, and then, I went to a sewing class. (I got a sewing machine two Christmases ago and had just got around to actually taking a class.) After the class, I went to Subway. It was at Subway that I went to the bathroom and noticed some mucus this time (sorry about being too descriptive). I still wasn't real alarmed, but I decided to call my doctor anyway. Well, the nurse I spoke to said she would have to call me back after she talked to the doctor. So, I ate my sandwich and thought about how I was going to go sign a 3 month lease on an apartment since our house had sold. The nurse called me back and told me they wanted me to come check in at labor and delivery to be assessed.

I was still thinking they were overreacting. I went to pick up Brenna from school, and we headed to the hospital. After checking in, they hooked me up to some monitors to check the baby's heart rates. They were doing great. Then the doctor came in to give me an exam. During my exam, she looked up and told me, "You are dilated to a 2. We are checking you in to the hospital. You will not be going home." I began to cry. Brenna was still with me there, so I tried to hold back, but it just wasn't possible. I called Jim, and he rushed to the hospital too. I was very scared and confused. Why was this happening to me? Why was this happening at 23 weeks? What was going to happen?

No comments: