Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Surgery Day

4/14/10

Today both Camdyn and Cade are having heart surgery to close their PDA valves. We are spending some time in the Ronald McDonald family room right now. I'm trying to keep myself busy so I don't think about the surgeries too much. The doctor assures us that this procedure is done often with preemies and is a fairly easy procedure. But, I continue to worry because our babies are so tiny. I just feel so bad for them that they have to go through so much at such a young age. I'm sure they are thinking they were much happier in the womb where people weren't constantly poking and prodding them. I too wish so much that they could be back in the womb. But, these doctors and nurses here work miracles. If they can't be inside of me, then this is the place for them to be.

The doctor just came in and told me they are finished with Camdyn and that it went great. That's 50% relief. Now, they are about to start the procedure on Cade. I am praying that it goes just as well. I am still worried about Camdyn because she does not like any change. The doctor tells us that the anesthesia will help control her oxygen needs after surgery. I worry about Cade because he has needed more blood transfusions and platelets. Again, the doctor has assured me that if he needs anything, they will be ready to give it to him. The next few hours/days are going to be tough. They have told us that they may get worse before they get better. They will require higher ventilator settings and higher oxygen needs. Their hearts will have to work harder to pump the blood throughout the body (it was just kind of circling through the lungs before- that's not a good medical description but that's how I understood it) and their hearts will be tired. Once they heal and their bodies adjust to the new physiology, they will start to show improvement. Hopefully, they will be able to start feedings, get off the ventilators, and start to gain weight soon. As scared as I am today, this is a necessary surgery in order for them to start making progress. We look forward to hearing about the progress that our little fighters are going to start making in upcoming days/weeks.

Pray for their quick recovery and for them to get stronger every day. I have faith that they are going to steadily progress after their recovery. I can't wait for the day that I will get to hold them in my arms
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michelle,

Our prayers are with you today and every day. If you need anything, let us know.

Kathy